{DrunkonWords}

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The green machine and things of that ilk

I've been thinking...

Those three words are enough to make my husband taking a flying leap over the couch in a desperate attempt to bolt out the door. I still don't understand how I can think enough for a crew of twenty, while my husband is content to simply be. Oh, the difference between males and females.

...you'll have to bear with me as I create this thing called a Blog. I think any reader, as well as a much saner version of myself, think that this attempt to "give up China" is going to be extremely difficult. But fairy believing, hot chocolate drinking, picture book lover me doesn't think so. My inner self reasons that if I find something I really like that's made in China, I just don't buy it. It's as easy as that. Growing up, I've always had a strong grasp of self-control. Is that unusual for a child? Now don't get me wrong. I don't mean I never ate too many cookies or was perfectly composed at all times or whatever as a kid. If I knew something needed to get done, I wouldn't beat around the bush. My mantra literally was, "Just do it."

So if I'm not moaning enough about this boycott yet, that's because of my "just do it" attitude. The other side of the story, however, is that I haven't hit the pothole in the road. Don't worry - it's coming. This resolution hasn't become personal yet. Sure, I've said "no" to merchandise already. I've said no when I'm not even AT a store (haven't you ever seen some awesome thing at a friend's house, than rushed over to the store to buy it yourself? You know you have. I have, on more than one occasion).

Take the lime green calculator, for instance.

I'm a calculator freak. Yes, you read that right. I love having a calculator nearby, since I'm often crunching numbers. I'm especially found of cute, kid-like ones (read: non-black or gray ones). As I was making sandwiches (I'm babysitting a brother/sister duo today), I saw the lime green calculator magnet pinned to the refrigerator. It looked like a toy, with oversized numbers, a soft rubber exterior, and raised buttons.

"This is the cutest calculator!" I exclaimed. "Where did you get it?"

The four-year-old protested, "It's not a cute calculator." (I'm sure I'm the first person who has ever called a calculator "cute" in his presence).It sounds stupid, but I wanted a lime green calculator of my own. I stood there, thinking about how I can never find the calculator at home, how I've been meaning to get more magents, and how this green machine would be perfect for me.

I flipped it over, knowing it was made in China. Wonder of wonders, I was was right. Darn. And there it was - me saying no to an item. It was so cute, but there was no way I needed this lime green calculator to make my life happier or more productive (I guess I COULD have crunched more numbers with a calculator on my fridge...?).

My real worry in imbarking on this hairbrained escapade is that some vital item will break down - like a car part or something of that ilk - and the replacement part will be made in China. The OTHER replacement part will be made in the U.S.A., but it will cost double the amount of the Chinese part (a.k.a. several hundred dollars). I know that if (or when) that happens, my hubby will be standing right next to me with a concerned, "are-we-really-going-to-pay-more-money-for-the-American-part" look on his face. Will I be strong enough to gulp, blink, blink again, and say no to the cheaper Chinese part?

This is a very real and very scary possibility for me. Most of us loathe shelling out hard-earned cash for something practical, boring, but oh so necessary, like new tires or expensive school books. But when I'm facing $100 Chinese tires or $200 American ones, I know it's going to be very difficult to choose the latter when my budget is begging for the cheaper rubber.

If I've made this venture out to be an easy piece of pie, don't believe me. After all, it's only Day 13.

1 comment:

  1. BUT...will the $100 Chinese made tires work as well as the $200 USA ones? That's a very real concern. You could be driving down the highway at 65mph and POP! goes your Chinese tire because it was made with chewed-up bubblegum rather than rubber.

    ReplyDelete