{DrunkonWords}

Monday, January 25, 2010

Nothin' doin'

My life is at a stand-still at the moment - my embargo-related life, that is.

On Thursday, I cleaned my tiny apartment, we packed our bags, and drove a few blocks north to set up residence at a bed & breakfast. Besides inheriting a rambling old residence for a few weeks, my hubby and I have been entrusted with the care of two long-haired silky terriers. Monte, a gentleman of advanced years, is the more outgoing, inquisitive canine. His favorite pastime (besides squirrel chasing) is to follow me with cloudy, expectant eyes as I putter in the kitchen, waiting for a tantalizing treat to drop from the heavens. If a Beggin' Strip doesn't materialize in five minutes, he resorts to sharp barking, jumping up to punctuate his point.

Maggie can usually be found hiding in the study, or napping on the sofa. A petite doll next to stocky Monte, her silky hair is a tawny brown compared to her brother's liberally streaked black coat. The runt of the litter, she isn't eager to make friends with strangers and cowers timidly when a hand appears out of nowhere to pet her. After handing out nine meals, however, I think I've graduated from foe to friend in her eyes.

There are three refrigerators and two freezers on the premises. We've been invited to help ourselves, as all the refrigerated food will go bad. As a result, I've been shopping primarily at our local greenie store. The greenie store is expensive if I'm shopping for two weeks' worth of groceries, but I can handle the price when I only need small stuff!

Pork chops that go for $8.49/lb aren't as intimidating when I only need 1/4 lb. Organic, boneless, skinless chicken thighs are almost a bargain at $3.49/lb - and I bought enough to feed eight people.

So other than groceries, I can't think of the last thing I bought that I needed to flip over. And honestly, that almost makes me sad, because it's hard to remember that I'm even boycotting a country. Am I still boycotting? Yes. Have I bought anything lately? No. But you'll be the first to know when I do...

P.S. A new piece of China-related information: it beat Japan in '09 to become the 2nd largest economy in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment