{DrunkonWords}

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ciao, sudieu, farewell!

I'm such a sucker for survey thingies. Usually, you'll find me taking one when I'm in the middle of some big project. It's a fun way to escape "the serious stuff" for a little while (It'll only take me a few minutes...right). I thought this one would be a neat way of tying up 2010; wrapping it in brown paper, looping a bow at the top, and re-hashing the good, the bad, and the miscellaneous.

Summary of '10


1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?

I actually made - and kept - a year-long boycott of all Chinese products. I’d wanted to for years, but never had the will power for it. I also met my pen pal, Laura, face-to-face for the very first time in March (I’d never done THAT before!).
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolution and will you make more for next year?
I did and I will (or I have!).
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Christina did (greetings, baby Alexander Henry!). Laura and her hubby welcomed a foster baby. My sister-in-law, Kristin, became pregnant and her due date is only three months past 2010! Otherwise, I don’t think so, but I’m open to corrections.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank goodness.
5. What places did you visit?
Nowhere I haven’t been before, but I’m hoping for a wildly exciting trip this year…*keeping my fingers crossed*…otherwise we went to Charleston, SC / Gatlinburg, NC / Lake Lure, NC / Rochester, NY
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
A wrought-iron bed frame & a new address, because that means Drew got into P.A. school. ;)
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
Nothing stands out in particular…
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Drew and I ran a 5K! Talk about an awesome high right there. I’ve also taken up cooking/baking as a new hobby and I learned how to take pretty decent photos on an SLR camera.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not enjoying the moments
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yep. :( I tripped over a crack in the sidewalk and made a nice, big hole right below my kneecap. I’ve still got a purple bruise where it’s healing. Thank goodness it happened at the end of summer.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My wedding album (only two years late!). And anything that I purchased at a smashing sale price!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband’s; what I lack, he more than makes up for. I can always look to him for help in getting all that stuff I struggle with right. ;) Also, my mom's; my grandma moved in with them and she's been perfectly amazing. I hope I could be as strong and patient as she's being.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Probably politicians…there are so many things wrong with the world and it seems that they spend their time nit-picking each other’s problems instead concentrating on the issues.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and college tuition
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting a Canon Rebel for my 25th birthday; finishing a 5K without stopping once; my friend Gaby coming up to visit me back in August; giving Drew his Christmas presents (I got him a Panthers jersey and an xBox game!)…
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
It’s gonna have to be “La Cucaracha” which I heard performed by Sirius B. on New Year’s Eve. What a crazy, fun song. Laura and I stood in the crowded in the back room of LAB and danced to this crazy number. I did NOT know, however, that “cucaracha” is a cockroach (that’s what I get, apparently, for never taking Spanish…). Yuck!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder?
I'm trying to be more content. I’ve struggled a lot in the past year with identity and trying to figure out my place in this world.
b) Thinner or fatter?
About the same, except now I have more muscle!
c) Richer or poorer?
Neither! I loudly complain about our lack of money sometimes, but then I realize that we really are very wealthy in the stuff that counts: family, friends, and experiences. Plus, our apartment IS very cool, even though nails keep popping up through the floorboards and the floors slope.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Lived in the moment more, instead of looking ahead.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Thought less. Whether it’s worrying or thinking ahead to the future, I think so much I’m surprised smoke doesn’t come out of my ears.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Waking up at 6:30AM to spend Christmas morning at my in-laws, than driving through the snow only to get snowed in at my parents!
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Over and over again with my hubby! The girl who filled this out before me said she didn’t think falling in love is a one-time thing and I agree. The longer I know Drew, the more I love him.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
It would probably have to be The Office - even though the new episodes are lame, I’ve re-watched the old seasons and still think it’s a brilliant show.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope. But that’s because I don’t hate anyone.
24. What was the best book you read?
Best book? I don’t have a best book - I have LOTS of best books! Can I come back to this one?
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Mmm, maybe Ingrid Michaelson? I also really like Roland Albertson’s “Hold My Hand.”
26. What did you want and get?
A Canon Rebel camera!
27. What did you want and not get?
A weekend away for our 2nd anniversary
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
That would mean I need to remember everything that’s come out since January - and I don’t! I thought the first installment of HP VII was surprisingly good. Ooo, I’m also really glad I watched “Food, Inc.” Made a difference in how I view the meat industry. Hello, locally raised & organic meat and eggs!
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 25 and I celebrated for four nights - no joke! My sister threw me a semi-surprise party w/all the girls, I celebrated at my parents, my brother- and sister-in-law took me out for dinner, and on my actual birthday, Drew and I walked to the Nine Mile for Caribbean fare. It was awesome. ;)
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I knew that Drew had gotten into P.A. school. I want him to be happy so badly.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
A work in progress. ;) I lean towards the comfortable: jeans, solid tops, simple earrings, etc. My goal for ’11 is to stay away from the solid and comfortable and made zanier purchases: colorful shoes, printed materials, more accessories, things that go pop.
32. What kept you sane?
God. Then Drew and my prayer partner. ;) The problem was that I’d get so wrapped up in thinking and analyzing that I sometimes tend to leave God out. I have a very hard time letting go of something if it hasn’t been scrutinized from every single possible direction. I assumed that all that scrutiny would “figure it out” so the thing could be neatly tucked away. I’m learning forget about all that stuff and live.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Eh.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
None in particular…there’s a bunch of doozies on the agenda: immigration, abortion, health care, gay & lesbian rights, etc. etc. etc.
35. Who did you miss?
I miss the simplicity of childhood. Teenagers do not realize that being an adult is so much more than facebook, make-up, cars, and guys/girls.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I don’t feel like I’ve met all that many new people recently…my “newest” friend is probably Chensee. She’s fun; has a very Northern, blunt attitude (even though she’s NOT Northern!); and I’ll miss her when she marries Randy and moves to TX! But we’re coming to visit… 
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Your life is what you make it. If I make my life an exciting journey full of laughter and fun, it will be. 
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Don't you worry there my honey
We might not have any money
But we've got our love to pay the bills

Maybe I think you're cute and funny
Maybe I wanna do what bunnies do with you if you know what I mean

Oh let’s get rich and buy our parents homes in the south of France
Let’s get rich and give everybody nice sweaters and teach them how to dance
Let’s get rich and build a house on a mountain making everybody look like ants
From way up there, you and I, you and I

Well you might be a bit confused
And you might be a little bit bruised
But baby how we spoon like no one else
So I will help you read those books
If you will soothe my worried looks
And we will put the lonesome on the shelf
“You and I” by Ingrid Michaelson

No comments:

Post a Comment