{DrunkonWords}

Sunday, March 20, 2011

GSWP - Modern day dialogue

FYI, so much more effective if read out loud...

No dialogue happened that day. I flipped pages, she tapped keys. If you don't count our sisters' animated conversation taking place in the other room, that's all the excitement that old porch saw that day: pages flipping, keys being tapped.

Click, clack, click, clack.

Bing! chirped the computer, eager to relay to me that she had received yet another instant message from one of the many friends she was messaging.

I had hoped that a five-year friendship could weather, well, anything. Looking back, I know now that five years is nothing, just a blip on the screen. But back then, it had seemed like forever. We had whispered secrets, compared crushes, and taken family trips together. We had shared a bowl of cookie dough, for goodness sake. Didn't that, above all else, seal the deal?

Bing!

But no. I was nothing to her now.

Click, clack.

Not a jolt, not a bump, not even the tiniest of hiccups on her radar.

Bing!

I was inconsequential, uninteresting, apparently unworthy of even civil conversation.

Clack.

At least my book was turning out to be thoroughly dull.

Bing, bing, bing, bing!

No comments:

Post a Comment