{DrunkonWords}

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Of seventh generations, ghosts, and zzzz's

My brother had the following up as his facebook status (I'm awfully curious to find out whether he got it off the back of HIS cleaning bottle!).

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." - from the Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I first noticed this quote on the back of my Seventh Generation bottle of kitchen cleaner (Wild Orange & Cedar Spice, if ya care to know!) and I really like it. It's 11:23PM and I don't intend to ruminate on this quote for too long. The Iroqois' words make me think of the environment - this vast earth and how we treat it. I think about all the lost babies who can't make a mark on this big world of ours. A thought pops into my head about laws being made and laws being broken. There's the intimate weaving in the branches of a family tree. What about the poor countries and their people being crushed under the progress of powerful countries?

I'm home alone with two sleepy kitties (uh oh...Trix just woke up...now there goes Tuppers...), I'm basking in the satisfaction of having finished a really good book (there WERE a few ghosts, one in particular being a most malevolent presence which makes me glance over my shoulder), and it IS almost midnight. The train whistle just blew loudly; a loud blast. Then once, twice, three times. It's time to walk my sleepy brain to bed.

What does the Iroquois quote mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment