{DrunkonWords}

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

do you ever find a quote that just opens its mouth and speaks, directly to you?

“The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude.” - Oprah Winfrey

A sublime quote, this. Thanks to Camilla at Champagne Bubbles for blessing me with these words today. Some quotes are sassy, others downright inspired, but this one, it speaks to me. I realize it might not be working for you (what's WRONG with her, you're thinking). And I get that. Different quotes for different people.

I'm not a downer, really I'm not. I've always thought of myself as that person who can (if she feels like it) lift herself up and out of a funk by flipping the "on" switch and DOING something. I'm a do-er, definitely. This morning I found myself frustrated by my budget. Yuck. I could only bring home x amount of groceries from a certain, fancy smanchy grocery store when I wanted to buy so much more. I swear to you, everything in there looked delicious. I wanted to buy luscious red tomatoes, glossy six-packs of locally brewed beer, and thick slabs of NY strip steaks until my buggy wouldn't hold anymore. So to defuse myself, I organized my fridge (FREAK!). I told Drew (and I was totally patting myself on the back while saying this) that I was frustrated, but dealing with it like an adult by reminding myself of all the yummy things that my fridge DID hold.

So this quote hits me because a lot of times, I'll get frustrated about this, that, or the dog down the hall and my view of the future shifts. Like, drastically in one direction. All of a sudden, it's not as sweet and promising as was five minutes ago. But dang, when the attitude changes, that future is rosy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment